Phew! I can finally write and say that our little man has made it!!! That's right! He's here. Now that all FOUR of us have had our showers and are relaxing for the night, I thought I'd take some time to appease my fans...if I have any that is. Hehe. So you ready to hear all about it? The day that he decided to show up? Here we go...
It all started this past Monday (11/8) very early in the morning. I was awoken by those intense contractions at about 4:45 in the morning. Per doctor's orders, I thought I'd wait it out for an hour to make sure they were regular before calling in and heading to the hospital. Half an hour later though, I couldn't take it anymore and had Jason page the doctor. I, in the meantime, started to get dressed and made sure I had all of the last minute items I wanted to have at the hospital with me because I just knew that this was going to be it...it hurt like hell!! By the time I was ready, Jason was dressed, and Rieley was up and out of bed, the doctor finally called back and told Jason to bring me in. And so we did. We all piled into the car and began to reverse out of the garage when we realized that it had snowed! The first snow for Groton town of the year (and the only day according to the next 7-day forecast). On top of that, it was raining which all together made for some scary driving conditions...especially for a family who has been residing in the sunny Hawaiian islands for the last 5 years together. I wanted to get there safely of course, but dangit we had to get there...and FAST!
By the time we got to the next town, New London, which is where the hospital is located I needed J to step on it!! I was pounding the dash and screaming while my 3-year-old daughter was in the back seat coaching me saying, "It's OK, Mommy. We're almost there." How cute is that? ; ) Before we reached the ER I felt myself truly fighting the urge to push...I was literally holding my breath every time I felt a contraction. I could feel that head descending and I was scared! When we finally reached the hospital, Jason got the lady at the front desk to bring me a wheel chair and an ER staff wheeled me to the 4th floor maternity ward while Jason parked the car with Rieley. The hospital staffer did a good job trying to take my mind off of the contractions all the while asking questions like what the sex of the baby was and if it was my first. We got there in the nick of time. The nursing staff and my doctor was already grouped together in what would be my son's birth place. I waited for the contraction to let up before standing and the nurse helped me remove my boots and drop my drawers. She helped me onto the birthing bed and told me to push as soon as I felt the need to! Boy did I!
I, already knowing the answer, asked the doctor if it was too late for an epidural and he practically laughed in my face. Great. No drugs. I thought my husband wasn't going to make it in time and I was on my own, but next thing I know he rushes into the room pushing Rieley in her stroller. Thankfully, one of the nurses took Lil Miss to her station and helped occupy her with books and stickers. Jason said he could see the baby's head crowning as he walked through the door. So with my own maternity tank top still on I pushed on the next contraction. My water broke in the middle of pushing and all I wanted from that moment was for the doctor to get this kid out of me!!! I swear it only took 3 really good pushes and he was out within half an hour after leaving the house. They laid this tiny, messy, squirmy bundle on my chest and I was in complete shock. I couldn't believe that he was here.
Next the nurses proceeded to clean him up and take his vitals. Taytum A.K.E. was officially born on November 8, 2010 at 6:17am weighing in at 7lbs 11oz. and measuring 19 1/2 inches in length. He was slightly smaller than his sister, but also 10 days early. He had all 10 fingers and all 10 toes and is doing quite well. The nurse said Rieley was getting antsy to come back to mom and dad and meet her baby brother so of course we said it was OK to bring her back into the room. She was a little in awe when she saw a real live baby that had just come out of mommy's belly.
The one good thing about not having the epidural was that I could pretty much walk right away. After everything settled down, the staff had us relocate to my recovery room and I was able to walk to the bathroom to get cleaned up. My mother-in-law came strolling in to meet her newest grandbaby at around noon that day and sort of fought with Rieley over holding the baby. : ) We spent the next 48 hours being cared for and catered to by the nurses. Wednesday morning we got to bring Little Man home. He's done really well since we got here. He's a healthy baby boy and has brought us much joy since he greeted our family. Rieley has been trying very hard to be the best big sister she can be. She wants to be a part of everything from picking out his clothes, calming him when he cries, bathing him, and everything in between. Of course, she's got much to learn about being gentle with a newborn, but we're all working with her. She's done really well in mimicking us with her baby dolls. We're truly looking forward to watching our children bond as siblings and the many happy memories we will make together.
As we are all still adjusting to Taytum's sleep schedule, I haven't gotten around to uploading pictures yet, but I promise I will as soon as I find the energy to. In the meantime, I can tell you that he has a full head of very fine and soft black hair. He has the same button nose Rieley does and Jason's mouth. He has my eyes - slanted and dark, but at the moment they seem to have a blue tint. I want to get excited about that, but we all know baby's features change so rapidly that we don't really know what color they will end up being. All in all, he is a smaller version of Rieley as a newborn and resembles his good ol' grandpa. Get that needle ready, mom. : )
One side note. Taytum has what they call a sacriatic dimple at the bottom of his spine. There isn't a huge concern as the pediatrician that saw our baby boy is pretty sure everything looks in order. However, we are having an ultrasound done just to make sure that the base of his spine is fully formed and that there isn't any space for poop to enter into. That would have to be addressed immediately, but from what the doctor says, the ultrasound is just for peace of mind and there is no reason to be concerned at this time. We just ask that you keep us in your thoughts and prayers that everything is indeed fine.
Hope you found this story entertaining. I wish you knew just how happy we are. I am still adjusting to the idea that I have two, that's right two, children. I'm also adjusting to the fact that I have a son. : ) We are one happy family. : ) We are looking forward to introducing our newest addition to you all at some point in the near future. In the meantime, keep checking back for updates and pictures.
Love!
Stephanie
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Labels
Followers
Blog Archive
About Me
- Stephanie
- A mommy of 3 and submariner's wife looking to connect with and make new friends.
No comments:
Post a Comment
We'd love to hear what you think